Day 15: Closure

Challenge for today: 
Narrate a conversation between you and someone in your life who you never had closure with (a friend, an ex, a family member, etc.) What would you say? What would they say? What outcome would you hope for?


Honestly, I am having a difficult time thinking of someone in my life that I never had closure with. I think I have sought closure from those that have "wronged" me, or I have come to a reconciliation on my own. So let me share a moment of closure I experienced.


My last semester of college, I was challenged by my counselor to write a letter to my dad about the anger and hurt I had toward his decision to move to another state and everything that had built up over the years. I read the letter to my counselor, he suggested some edits, but he left it up to me whether or not to share it with my dad. 

When I went home for fall break, I asked my dad to get coffee with me. While we were sitting at the table with two cups of coffee between us, I read the letter to him. I knew there were a few possible outcomes to this conversation: understanding, anger, or defense. My dad was very understanding in regards to what I had to say. He was even thankful and open to changes on behalf of both of us.

I am thankful for the relationship I have with my dad. He loves to talk, and I am willingness to listen. He loves the Lord and is an amazing example of exhibiting faith and trust in God.

Comments

Popular Posts