Days 11 to 14: What do you want to be known for?

The last four days were a blur, and I admit that I didn't really feel like blogging.
Because I missed so many days, I am just going to focus on what happened on Friday.

Day 12:
I attended an all day training for AmeriCorps. The focus was on identity, life after AmeriCorps, personality tests and how they relate to the workplace, and self-empowerment.

The first speaker of the day had a presentation on Strategies For Transition. I was very impressed by her introduction, the methods she used to instruct, and the exercises she asked us to do. Toward the end of her presentation, we were asked to do a three part reflective exercise. Here were the questions:

1. What do you want to be known for? (Make a list.)
2. Take one quality from that list. Think about the factoring skills needed to achieve that quality.
3. Then list practical ways in order to achieve those skills.

Here is what I wrote:

1. Honest, Open, Nice, Thoughtful, Approachable, Present
2. Approachable = Warm, Resolving conflict well, Thoughtful
3. Warm = smile more; say positive words to others
Resolving conflict well = approach the situation before it gets crazy
Thoughtful = speak up in meetings or with groups


I believe that my list for #1 are qualities I am already known for, but I want to strengthen these qualities.  So that is why I chose these words to be known by.

One of the points I want to emphasis is being thoughtful by speaking up. As someone who is not shy, I am constantly irritated when people tell me I am shy.

I am reserved. I don't feel the need to say something unless it is important or relevant. Many times this is perceived as being shy.
I believe another factor as to why I might be seen as shy is that I am an internal processor.

For example, in meetings either at my work site or with fellow AmeriCorps members, when we are asked a question, I often need longer to think than others do. This may perceive me as being shy or unthoughtful or cold.

This is not what I want to be known for.

So what I am going to do for myself is work on being more approachable. I want to have a hospitable personality. I believe this is something that shines in me from time to time, but I want to know how to tap into it so that it is a daily part of who I am.

So here's to being more approachable!

Comments

Popular Posts