Day 3: "Money is not my life source."

On my way home this evening I wondered if I could afford ordering in for supper tonight. After pulling out my phone, clicking on the US Bank app, logging in, and seeing the dollar amount in my checking account, I sighed and decided to make something on my own. I was bummed.

The day was exhausting: prepping for my class, teaching Job Club, contacting clients, searching for job leads, updating case notes, and let me not forget to mention the petty confrontation between my coworker and me while we were co-teaching Job Club.
Let's just say I was not in the mood to cook when I got home.

I decided that I would make something delicious to satisfy my taste buds, and then I would blog about being wise with my money and how this ultimately made me feel good.

But the truth is that the food I made, although it tasted okay and was cooked thoroughly, made me feel sick. I wasn't satisfied, and I felt even worse about the figure I saw earlier when I looked at the amount of money in my bank account.

I work for AmeriCorps. If you sum it up, this basically means that I am a full time volunteer who receives a stipend twice a month that equals to an amount that is below the poverty line for the county I live in. I knew this week and the next would be tight.

My payday fell on an odd week meaning that my rent would suck up a majority of the money I received making it a challenge to get by until the next payday. There is one week remaining before I receive my next stipend, yet I still need to buy groceries, get some laundry detergent, and pay for a week of train fare.

I'm worried.

I would like to say that I am responsible with my money, but I regret to say that I constantly worry about the money I have, or the lack thereof! It controls me to the point that I struggle to enjoy a simple meal like I had tonight....

While submitting to my nightly ritual of washing my face and brushing my teeth, I tried formulating what I would blog about for Day 3. I fussed about how I allow the monetary number of my bank account to dictate multiple aspects of my life.

When I had finally scrubbed the day from my face with foamy bubbles, I told myself,
"Money is not my life source."

Sometimes (or a lot of times) I need to take my own advice and wisdom just as I so often willingly speak into the lives of others. I have had many friends say to me, "A wise person once said __________." (Fill in the blank with something I previously shared with them.)

So for Day 3 of 100 Days of (caring for) Me, I am going to chew on my own words and find the peace of mind knowing that money is not my life source. :)


...and I'm also going to enjoy a cup of cocoa with the leftover banana bread I made earlier this week.

Comments

Popular Posts