Day 3: Unwind

Because my work department is a 24/7 operation, I (like most of my coworkers) am required to work every other weekend. For the most part, it is not a hard task. Weekends seem to be more chill than weekdays, but there are exceptions. 

I personally hate working Saturdays. I am convinced all the weird things happen between 7am and 3:30pm on the Saturdays I am scheduled to work. 

I forced myself to leave for work earlier than usual to avoid any traffic delays due to the winter storm that swept across the state. The roads were fair, so I arrived to work 30 minutes early. The morning started out slow but progressively became hectic as one of my coworkers left at 1pm, calls got backed up, and the demand for my attention was high. I became overwhelmed. All I could think of was going home, changing into my pajamas, taking a nap, and treating myself to a brownie and ice cream. 

And that's exactly what I did! 
(Except the "nap" turned into laying on my bed, watching Netflix, and debating whether or not to sleep.)


When it comes to self care, I typically take pride in allowing myself time to unwind and take care of my mental and emotional state. But every now and then I feel a sense of guilt as I question how I could be spending my time otherwise or if someone might label me as lazy as I zone out watching Netflix on my bed after a long day of work. But today I chose to take care of me, to allow myself grace and freedom to be, to give less of myself to others and focus on my needs for a moment. 

All I can say is the reward was delicious: a brownie and vanilla bean ice cream. 

Comments

Popular Posts