Day 1: One-on-One

The past few months have been hectic at work. Between car accidents, broken bones, and giving birth, work schedules have been inconsistent. Many of us have had to make last minute choices to work overtime or switch shifts. Somehow it always works out.

In case you did not know already, I work as a Hospital Operator. Today we had three operators on the day shift. Usually there is a fourth operator to help with breaks and maintain the call volume. Even though we were short one person, my supervisor wanted to squeeze in our monthly one-on-ones on a spontaneous whim.

These meetings always make me nervous. Today was no different. My Team Coordinator also joined the meeting. This was more so an assessment on my calls and some improvements I need to make.

Both my supervisor and Team Coordinator had nothing but praises and a few items to be aware of. I mentioned how these sort of meetings are rare (because of the hectic schedules), so when I am generally given feedback it is usually something that needs to be corrected or changed. After this comment my supervisor proceeded to flood me with encouraging words. She said I am a prime operator who she is proud to have on her team. She highlighted my ability to teach and have new operators and fellow hospital employees shadow and learn from. In spite of these words, she knows that I can only benefit from being more assertive in my work and having confidence that I know what I am doing.

My biggest takeaway from today was the fact that even while doing work that I generally do not like and do not feel rewarded in, I still excel and do my best. This is very encouraging and gives me hope that I can thrive in the mundane and the challenging.

Comments

Popular Posts