Day 39: Volunteering

The volunteer section on my resume is overwhelming. If I chose to list everything, it would take over half the page.

I don't say this to boast, but I love to volunteer. It keeps me busy. I like to be a part of my community and help out at events in anyway that I am needed.

A portion of my AmeriCorps hours is set aside for volunteering. Last night (Thursday) I was able to add a number of hours when I helped out at the Minnesota Hands and Voices Family Picnic. MN Hands and Voices is an organization stationed in the building I work at that supports children and families who are deaf or hard of hearing.

These event was a big deal. 700 people RSVP'd, yet I have no idea how many actually showed up. It was a lot! We reserved a pavilion at Como Park, the weather was beautiful, and everyone had a good time.

I had the opportunity to volunteer as the Temporary Tattoo Applicator, and I worked along side a woman who came from out of town to help. Even though our table was less popular than the games, the face painting, and the awesome caricature artist who constantly had a line, I still had a good time watching the faces of the kids once I peeled the white paper to reveal the perfect tattoo.

It was a long day, waking up at 6am and not getting home until 9:30pm, but I had a good time volunteering at an event that was well planned and designed to provide a family-friendly atmosphere for the MN Hands and Voices clients.

Comments

Popular Posts