9: My Favorite Quote

I was going through some quotes I have saved overtime in preparation for this post today, and I came across a passage I wrote down while reading Lena Dunham's book. This may not be my favorite all-time quote, but after reading it today I can see how important it is for me during this stage of my life.

A couple of years ago I read the book Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham. At the time I could not relate to her writing, but I believe if I read it now, I could connect with a lot of her words of wisdom. Lena wrote:

"When someone shows you how little you mean to them and you keep coming back for more, before you know it you start to mean less to yourself. You are not made up of compartments! You are one whole person! What gets said to you gets said to all of you, ditto what gets done. Being treated like shit is not an amusing game or a transgressive intellectual experiment. It's something you accept, condone, and learn to believe you deserve. This is so simple. But I tried so hard to make it complicated."

In my life I have taken captive the way others treat me, or their lack of commitment or involvement, or my imaginary assumptions about what others think of me. Over time this can wreck havoc on a girl! And it has!

I do not want this for myself anymore. I want to be confident and sure of who I am, what I have to offer, who I can trust and lean on, who will be by my side. People who treat me like "shit" have no authority over my life anymore. I deserve better.

I want to mean more to myself. So that is just what I will do. 😊

Comments

Popular Posts