Day 18: Fasting

This morning in church, Pastor Dave spoke on being courageous. He referenced Daniel 1:21, "And Daniel continued until the first year of Cyrus the king."

While putting together the bulletin for this Sunday (one of my responsibilities as the church administrator), I texted Pastor Dave to get the sermon title and key passages. Upon reading Daniel 1:21, I sent a text back asking if that was the correct verse since it seemed silly compared to the other references. He replied: "Yep!"

As the sermon unfolded today and Pastor Dave went through the history of the passage, I began to see the significance of the verse. To sum it up, the amount of time that Daniel waited that is referenced in this passage equals 70 years. During this time he was steadfast, he persevered, and he was courageous. Pastor Dave encouraged us to be a generation of courageous people.

So how do we become more courageous?

Some areas that my pastor highlighted were through prayer and fasting, by volunteering, and by surrounding oneself with other courageous people. With that, Pastor Dave invited the church to fast with him for the month of January, from now until the 22nd.

At first I thought, "Fasting isn't my thing. I'm not doing that." But as the day went on, I realized how important that would be for my faith.

So for the next three weeks I will be fasting sweets. It is going to be hard, because sweets are my weakness. But I know it will be beneficial for me as I continue this journey of living a full life.

Comments

Popular Posts