Worry...

Heart, mind, nerves, and joy---
all are swayed by the worry
consuming my night.

But I trust in You,
O Lord, for Your intentions
are good and pleasing.


I wrote this haiku last night as I sat in the large purple chair in my living room. It was nearing 11pm, and I was exhausted and ready for bed. But my whole being was consumed with worry about every little thing. Knowing that if I did not pray and release my worry to God, I would have laid in bed for two or three hours just thinking about everything I was worrying about.

So I prayed.
Then I texted my mom, because sometimes I just need to hear a little word of encouragement from her when I am worried.
I wrote this poem based on my prayer and the response my mom gave me when I texted her, "Mom, I'm really worried."

Worrying doesn't change anything.
Well, actually it does. It changes me into someone I am not supposed to be. It's a challenge to be joyful and peaceful when worry weighs me down. That is what has been happening to me all day. I feel as though simple tasks were too much for me to do. I would start doing one thing and then remember that I needed to do yet another thing.

I've been a mess today! Really. I'm sorry for anyone that came in contact with me today.
But, I have to admit that throughout the messiness of my day, I did not ask God for help.

It seems that when I try to do things on my own, to live the way I want to (even though in this case it has proven to be extremely stressful and wearing on me), it just doesn't work! Period!

I need God. I need Him everyday, in every moment, with every step I take, with every breath.

Worry is the opposite of trust. And trust in God is what I need, what I desire. I am learning that trusting God is a choice I need to make consistently everyday.

I read a verse this morning that was included in my devotions. It has been pushing me to want more of what God has, what He offers, what He can provide. I want His protection, His love, His grace.

"O Lord Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in You." - Psalm 84:12

Comments

Popular Posts